4/05/2022

The letters from Van Gogh 001a

 


To Hendrik Verzijl. The Hague, Saturday, 26 October 1872.

고호가 Verzijl의 의뢰로 헤이그에서 열린 경매에 참석해서 대리 입찰한 결과를 보고하는 편지로 추정됩니다.

source: https://vangoghletters.org/vg/letters/let001a/letter.html


Dear Sir,

I regret that I have been unable to obtain any of the items you specified, since they all fetched more than the prices specified.
They were all purchased by Mr. Van Stockum, who had apparently been acting on commission.
I do not know for whom, but hope to be able to discover it, since I know Mr. Van Stockum’s son and he has promised to make enquiries.
As soon as I hear anything I shall write informing you.
The auction was very well attended, and I have heard that in general the prices paid were higher than usual.
Approximately 30 guilders was paid for the nos. specified.
With the request that you pay my respects to the De Jonge family, I am, yours faithfully,

Your obedient servant
V.W. van Gogh


안녕하십니까, 어르신

의뢰하신 물품들을 낙찰 받지 못해 유감입니다. 모두 말씀하신 것 보다 높은 가격에 낙찰되었습니다.
모두 Mr. Van Stockum가 사들였는데, 위임을 받은 것이 분명해 보입니다. 누가 의뢰를 했는지 모르지만 곧 알아내리라 기대하고 있습니다. 제가 Van Stockum씨의 아들과 친분이 있는데, 그가 알아보겠다고 약속했기 때문입니다.
소식을 듣는 대로 알려드리겠습니다.
경매 참여한 사람이 무척 많았습니다. 제가 듣기로는 낙찰 가격이 전반적으로 평소보다 높았다고 합니다.
의뢰하신 물품들은 30길더 대에서 낙찰되었습니다.
제 존경하는 마음을 De Jonge 가족에게 전해주십사 부탁 드리며 이만 줄입니다.

삼가 아뢰었습니다,
Vincent Willem van Gogh